Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's going on with Cody

Sigh....what a long day. Actually what a long week. More like 9 days. I will try to inform you as best as I can in my sleep deprived state. Last Wednesday Cody started to feel sick, but his malaria test came back negative. Cody still suspected it was malaria because his symptoms were similar to when he had it before. He decided to take some natural remedies to see if that helped and he thought it was. He would feel okay for a while and then would be feeling sick again. Saturday morning he woke up feeling pretty good so we thought it was all over. We suspected that maybe it was the flu as it had gone around our house. Sunday he took a turn for the worst, and I took him again to get malaria tested. It was plus III which means nothing to most of you, but it basically means the malaria parasites were numerous in his blood. He was also testing positive for typhoid. We were able to get him on meds and fluids right away. After a day and half things were not getting better and in fact he was really miserable and was not doing well. Couldn't keep anything down. Things didn't get progressively better so I decided that we would take him to the nearest hospital about 2 hours away. Once there they did some more testing to find out a whole lot of nothing. For me it was hard to see him in the state he was in. He was very confused, slept all day, and was in a lot of pain. One night he was having hallucinations. It was physically and emotionally demanding for me because here you take care of the patient and provide food for yourself. I was up with him all night making sure he didn't pull out his IV or fall out of his bed. I would also have to unhook him from his IV so he could use the bathroom, or vomit. I got 2 hours of sleep and 4 the night before. Again after finding nothing wrong, my heart ached. Really? After the doctor told me there was nothing abnormal I decided I wanted to take him off the quinine treatment, as it is really harsh and many of his symptoms sounded like a severe reaction to the drug. (i.e. chest pain, loss of hearing, deliruim, vomiting, diarrhea etc). When malaria is so severe doctors think that quinine is the best. I am not so sure for Cody. By this morning (Thursday) he was not vomiting, and I did get more sleep, but his fever returned, bring alarm to me. Why a fever? They were also giving him antibiotic for the typhoid so he shouldn't be having fever (not to mention the test for typhoid was not negative). At that point I decided that I wanted to take him to Kampala for further testing and to be at a more advanced facility. When morning broke, I started making arrangements to getting him to Kampala as quickly as I could. I knew driving was not an option. I called MAF (mission aviation fellowship) for an emergency flight and they were there within 3 hours. It was amazing. The emotion I felt when I saw the plane land on the dirt strip was indescribable. For Cody it felt like the longest plane ride but it was only 1 and a half hours seeming minute compared to the 12 hour drive. Once at the hospital in Kampala more tests revealed nothing was wrong (malaria and typhoid were both gone), but I knew otherwise. This is not my husband. He has been sick for 9 days. Hasn't eaten anything in 7. Hasn't had a legitimate conversation with me since Saturday. Why is his hand numb? Why is he swelling so? Why the fever? Why does he sleep all day? They ran more tests. The newest results are that he is having kidney problems similar to kidney failure. This is due to malaria and then the drugs on top of that. The doctors do not think it is severe enough to put him on dialysis but they are keeping an eye on it so that if it were to get worse they can take appropriate actions.

How am I doing? I am relieved to have a diagnosis, but now I pray he gets better because the pattern so far has not been in our favor. God has been so good to us in this whole process and I am so thankful for all that he has done. Thankful that we were able to bring him to Kampala.

It has also been a true blessing to see the body of Christ come together to help us in this ordeal. The prayers, the support. Misty is staying back with the boys and I have Janaya and Eliana with me. The Williams have been helping in lots of ways. Family and friends back home doing everything they can. It reminds me of the church in Acts. Truly a blessing. I will also add that I am tired. Taking care of Cody has been draining as it is like taking care of a dementia patient, but being in Kampala should lower the burden.

Now we wait for him to get better. Thanks for everyone's prayers. They have really meant a lot to us. We feel really loved and supported. I will try to keep updating the blog so you know the progress.



  1. Michaela,
    I'm so sorry. praise the Lord for MAF! We had a smiliar very scary time with meningitis for Jacob and MAF saved the day (But God saved his life). We left the hospital in kampala as it seemed to only make things worse and we went to Dr. Stockley which I highly recommend (he lived in Kotido for a number of years which I'm sure you already know). I will share this with jacob and we will be praying desperately for you. It is a total object lesson in complete reliance on the Lord and nothing else. Our hearts go out to you. If there is anything we can do please let us know...

  2. Won't stop praying until we hear that he has recovered. Know that we stand with you, even if we're far from you.

  3. Very sorry to hear of your strife there right now. I'm glad you had Janaya with you for some support. I hope Cody gets better everyday and regains enough strength to continue to stay healthy and continue with your mission. You're a great wife and mother and a very strong lady! Worry about yuh guys, thinking of you often.

  4. The Lord brought Cody and his sickness to my mind this morning (before I ready your update). I will continue to pray for healing for him, strength for you and your family. Praying that you will be able to get the sleep you need. Hugs friend! Praying that Cody will have a truly MIRACULOUS turn around that will amaze everyone!

  5. Michaela,just read your up-date and looked some more at your blog-spot and photos and kid comments,I am amazed you get it together to do this beautiful blog spot as well. We are enjoying this beautiful fall here in sunny Co. compared to what your dealing with there, it is heavenly really. I want you to know we have been lifting you up all through our day.Not just Cody but you too.I can kind of imagine but not really - malaria, typhoid,and that other stuff you've talked about.sounds so intense.I was hit really hard by my m.s. when I was first diagnosed in 06 I became so sick I really thought I was gonna die,so I feel for Cody,I could keep no food down for months lost 40 lbs.Not good.However I am doing 100% better now.I have regained my healthy weight back and work out and swim 2 miles a week now.I am very thankful.I still deal with some m.s. issues but I know it could be so much worse.Alan and I would love to be giving more to your mission however this recession has hit carpenters the hardest,He has had a temporary job earning what he made when he was in his 20s.It ends next week and nothing on the horizon. SO Alan needs work! Work that will pay our bills and then some ;)My m.s. meds. are over 25,000 per year (insurance does pay that, and we have been blessed by a foundation called the assistance fund to help pay huge deductibles) on top of other medical things as well,m.r.i.s and such We will send some off whenever we can.If you get something from us that will be a good sign.I hope you do not have to be concerned for your support at this time .I hope this letter is a little distraction for you.Ive been meaning to write for a long time now.kiss your babies for me-God bless you all,Summer and Alan

  6. Praying God give you strength, knowing He never leaves us or forsakes us. Praying for a quick recovery for Cody. Wish we could be there to help!

    Erik Queen

  7. Praying for your husband. May he be healed and may you get some rest.